Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island


#5 on the list of top 100 "you can play" in the US.  There is lots of sand, but no bunkers.  Even the small manicured and raked sandy areas next to the greens are not hazards.


And there's no OB.  If you can find it, it's in play.  The course generally is very linksy, with hard, rolling fairways, unmowed native grasses for rough, and, of course, the ocean right there.


But several of the greens are very elevated.


And some of the fairways, too.


I made bogey on the first hole, and on the 2nd was next to the green but at the bottom of one of those 12-foot drops.  Couldn't see the flag, or even a tree, my aiming point was a cloud.  The first chip shot got to the top of the slope, paused, and rolled back to my feet.  The second one got over the summit, and I only knew what happened because I heard the clank! and the rest of the foursome yelling.

I then reeled off 5 more pars, and was one over after 7.  I had it all figured out.  You know how that ends.

I did manage one birdie, on the 13th, which was the hardest hole for the pros in the 2012 PGA.


Nice clubhouse.



And some wildlife.  We saw some deer, tried to warn them to stay out of the high grass and the water, but they didn't listen.


More pictures.









No comments:

Post a Comment