Friday, April 24, 2015

Golf in Pahrump

They had a flyer at the RV park here about a weekly tournament, so I signed up.  It was at an executive course.  I think I was the youngest one there.  When I got there, the lady asked me what flight I was in, A, B, C, or D.  I told her 15 handicap, and she said "Oh, you're an A player!"  

It was a 4-man scramble.  One of my teammates is having his 94th birthday tomorrow.  He has macular degeneration, can’t see where his ball goes anymore, which is only about 130 yards with the driver.  He just got his drivers’ license renewed the other day.  They forgot to ask him how old he was until after it was all in the computer, so he didn't get the eye test.  He’s hard of hearing, too, so every time he spoke it was loud enough for the groups on adjacent holes to hear.
 
So I told him my blind golfer stories, the one about Tiger and Stevie Wonder, and the one about the guy going blind who takes his older brother along to see where his ball goes.
 

We won the tournament by 2 shots.  I chipped in twice, one with a wedge and one a putt from off the green, lipped out an eagle chip, made a 20-footer, and my teammates were making putts from everywhere.  We had 2 bogies, and shot 5 under par.  We each won $8 on a $3 entry fee.  They all wanted to know how long I was staying here, and when I'm coming back.  I will play again, if we're here again.  I have an idea now of how the pro feels playing in a pro-am.

1 comment: